Garden Pizza

The pictures were taken before the pizza was baked; it didn't really look much different afterwards. The leaves were added to the hot pizza when it came out of the oven, rather than being cooked.
We are using up the very last of 2014's pumpkins, beetroot and parsnips, and at the same time we now have this year's kale, spinach and red mustard greens- time for some creative thinking in the kitchen, and that's how this seasonal crossover pizza came to be! If basic pizza is defined as being yeast, cheese and tomato-based then this one really stretches that definition as the only conventional pizza ingredients here are a little tomato and the wheat flour. With all that veggie goodness, though, it's perfect for fuelling a sunny afternoon's work in your garden or allotment. Here's how it's made:


  • The base is organic wholemeal flour with some ground linseed (flax) added; our recipe is here. It was precooked (but not browned), the toppings added and then it was returned to the oven for about 15 minutes.
  • Instead of using tomato sauce, I pureed some pumpkin, added a little tomato puree, miso and a liberal sprinkling of sweet smoked paprika. the result was tasty, sweet and earthy.
  • Pre-cooked sliced beetroot, strips of re-hydrated sundried tomato, olives and green peppers make up the bulk of the pizza top, along with a sprinkling of black pepper.
  • The "cheese" is almond feta- get our recipe here. The salty, lemony flavour offsets the beetroot beautifully; well worth rubbing off all those almond skins for...
  • Finally, when the pizza came out of the oven I added some peppery red mustard greens and wild rocket that I found in our polytunnel.




Comments

  1. We have had pizza twice this week, sadly neither home-made. I had the nephews round yesterday to help us with dismantling our pergola that got whacked by the wind, so quick food was pizza and home-made burgers, I would have loved to have tried yours with all your homegrown goodness. Whilst they were dismantling, I was digging and weeding, noted not just PSB and curly kale, I also have some chard that I will use this week. I'd love to try some red mustard greens, not sure if I've had them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Shame about the pergola; I'm sure I've seen it in one of your posts, and thought it was very pretty. Our arch also fell down in the wind, but hubby managed to mend it and save the climbing roses and clematis. You may have inadvertently tried mustard greens, green or red, in a bought mixed salad; they are a lot like mizuna/ rocket, but a dock leaf shape, and very peppery. They taste great in salads and sandwiches, and really livened up the pizza too. Best thing is, they are really easy to grow and well self seed too. We always seem to get some in our polytunnel whether we sow it or not :)

      Delete
  2. Hello Sarojini, this is pizza heaven. Can there be a healthier pizza i wonder. Tomato and pumpkin sauce, beets, capsicums and all those home grown beauties sitting there. And what I loved most is that the base is wholegrain with flaxseed. I am so inspired that I am going to try out one very soon. Thank You for the lovely healthy share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing, I do miss having pizza. I will have to try this with a gluten free base :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks and sounds AMAZING I wish I was closer - I would soooooo stop by for dinner on a weekly basis! LOL
    http://myblissfuljourney.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd love to have you to dinner, just that small matter of the Atlantic to cross! Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment- feedback from you really helps me to decide what to post, and I love hearing from you- thanks :)

Popular Posts